The HMS Secure File Transfer Service
HMS IT maintains an Accellion Secure File Transfer Server which
allows HMS users to easily share large files with remote users in a secure way. Remote
users can then send files back to HMS users who have shared files with them.
- "HMS user" is defined here as: An HMS/HSDM Faculty/Staff/Student, who is also based on-Quad.
- "Remote user" is defined here as: ANY email address. (e.g. email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.)
Please keep in mind that the server is intended for short-term file transfers only, and not general storage!
Using the Service
- Go to http://transfer.med.harvard.edu/
- Login with your full HMS email address (NOT eCommons ID!), and eCommons password.
- Any valid HMS address should work. Example: email@example.com
- If you're an eCommons Invited User or HMS affiliate with a non-HMS
email, use the address you registered with eCommons.
- If you do not know your eCommons password, you can reset it at the
- To transfer over 2 Gb of data at once, you will need to either:
- Recommended: Use the included Java applet when sending the file(s).
To use the applet, make sure the "Applet" check-box is on while in the "Send File" window.
- Or, if your desktop is not compatible with the Java Applet, you can
upload files totalling less than 2 Gb per transaction FIRST to your
online "cabinet" using the "File Manager" window, and send as many of them as you want
afterword using one message from the "Send File".
- If you have trouble with the Java Applet and you have a file larger than 2 Gb to upload,
please contact IT for support.
- The file transfer itself is fairly self-explanatory, but note that any user outside HMS being sent
a file will need to register with the server before receiving the file (they get instructions by email on
how to do that). That registration will be active for either 30 days, after which the account is removed
for remote users.
- An HMS user may invite a REMOTE user to register and send them a file, using the "Invite User" feature available
from the "Send File" tab when logged into the server.
- Uploaded files are automatically deleted after 10 days!
- Up to 10 attachments are allowed per transfer. All attachments must be files, not folders.
- There is no limit set for the size of uploaded files, but since there is ultimately a limit of storage on the server, we have quotas in place to prevent excessive usage.
For assistance with this service, please submit a new support request using the
RITG support form
Notes on Email Addresses as Usernames
Most users at HMS have more than 1 email address registered in
the HMS directory. Since the server treats email addresses as
individual users, you need to use the same email address throughout your transaction. This should not
present a problem since interactive login happens only once per transaction, but it is something to be aware of.